In this blog post, we take a look at the 1996 C4 Chevrolet Grand Sport, GM Engineer John Heinricy, VIN #0001 1996 Corvette, and a little special Grand Sport display at Corvettes at Carlisle 2021.
In a recent press release from Carlisle Events, we learned that retired GM Engineer John Heinricy, and the first 1996 Grand Sport off the line will be at this year’s Corvettes at Carlisle. The event takes place at the Carlisle Fairgrounds in Carlisle Pennsylvania August 26-28, 2021.
This year will mark 25 years of the consumer-based Corvette Grand Sport. In the statement from Carlisle, they said, “Corvettes at Carlisle and the Corvette community have marveled at the design, power, and elegance of the Grand Sport since the “first five” were introduced in 1963.”
Corvette Grand Sport Special Edition
Chevrolet introduced the Corvette Grand Sport special edition in the final year of the fourth generation (1996). Only 1,000 were built – each with an Admiral Blue exterior featuring an Arctic White stripe. Red hash marks were added to the driver’s side front fender as a salute to the racing 1963 Corvette Grand Sports. All models featured a 330-hp LT4 engine. Of the 1,000 built, 810 were coupes and 190 were convertibles. The interior could be either all black or red and black with embroidered “Grand Sport” trim. Other Corvette Grand Sport details included black brake calibers with raised Corvette lettering and special serial number sequences.
All of the other Corvette performance options were available with the Grand Sport. A loaded Grand Sport coupe cost nearly $45,000 and a convertible went for over $53,000.
Vette Vues learned that along with this special display will be some of the best from 1996, 2010, and 2017 in a Grand Sport Corvette Corral. It should be an impressive display!
Also taking part in this special display will be the Grand Sport Registry
The Grand Sport Registry is an active club with approximately 800 members dedicated to the Corvette Grand Sport. Its mission is to help owners and enthusiasts get more enjoyment out of these very special Corvettes by sharing information and participation in local and national Corvette events. The group is a dedicated Lifetime Club Member of the National Corvette Museum (NCM) and Two-Acre Member of the NCM Motorsports Park. While its focus is on all generations of the Corvette Grand Sport, GS ownership is not required for membership.
To learn more about this organization visit their website https://www.grandsportregistry.com/
In addition to a huge gathering of Corvette Grand Sports at the Carlisle Fairgrounds, the Grand Sport Registry will host a welcome party for its members, co-sponsor the Chip Miller Benefit dinner, and participate in the downtown Carlisle parade as part of its 25th-anniversary celebration.
1996 Corvette VIN #0001
We mentioned that the first ’96 Grand Sport off the line…an iconic Z51 coupe that carries VIN #0001 will be featured at the Carlisle event. What we didn’t mention yet is that it is owned by the legendary John Heinricy.
At the January 2020 Mecum Auction, the last 1996 Corvette Grand Sport sold for $66,000. I wonder what the first one is worth?
To the Corvette Grand Sport enthusiasts’ John Heinricy is known as the “Father of the Grand Sport.” John worked as the Assistant Chief Engineer for Corvette and Director of the GM Performance Division during the time of its production.
John will be available at this year’s Corvettes at Carlisle for guests to mix and mingle with and give you a chance to snap some photos to share with your family and friends! He will also be making a special appearance at the Grand Sport Registry tent. John will be part of the Chip Miller Amyloidosis Foundation dinner on Friday, August 27 and he’ll be downtown in Carlisle as part of the returning Corvette parade and street party.
NCM Corvette Hall of Fame Inductee 2014
John Heinricy was inducted into the NCM Corvette Hall of Fame in 2014. John has won 11 SCCA national championships driving a Corvette, was intimately involved in developing the Corvette showroom stock racing program and the Corvette Racing C5R effort. He was a key member of the team that set 12 international world time / distance speed records, averaging as high as 175.885mph over a 24-hour period. Most recently, “Heinrocket” set multiple lap records in a Cadillac CTS-V at tracks in China and the Middle East.
Here is a great video about his career and contribution to the Corvette hobby…
Other Events at Corvettes at Carlisle 2021
This appearance and special display are just one of many special features at Corvettes at Carlisle in 2021. You will enjoy seeing virtually every generation of Corvette. This year celebrating their 50th anniversary is the 1971 Corvette with their special display. Lance has put together another great display, a nod to law enforcement by way of the Chip’s Choice display in Building T. For those of you who love looking at the older Corvettes don’t miss the incredible NCRS Gallery display plus the Solid Axle Corvettes. Another great display is the 7-sanctioned NCCC judging field where you will see some awesome show cars competing!
Carlisle Events is COVID-19 compliant and follows current guidelines suggested by state officials as well as the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). A detailed Health/Safety Measures summary is available on CarlisleEvents.com.
Make sure you stop by the Vette Vues Magazine booth in Building T right across Chip’s Choice. See you soon!
Check out some of our other blog posts…
- 2012 Corvette Hall of Fame Inductee Andy Pilgrim – VideoToday we are looking back at a video that the NCM (National Corvette Museum) posted on Sep 13, 2012, of Andy Pilgram. Text Courtesy of the NCM Corvette Hall of Fame Inductee Andy Pilgrim joined the Corvette Racing team in 1999 after a successful career in IMSA racing where he earned four championships in four […]
- The Andy Pilgrim Driving ExperiencePro-racer and Corvette Hall of Fame Inductee, Andy Pilgrim, will be offering a 1-day program has been handcrafted by Andy and includes autocross runs and laps on track driving the C8 Corvette with 1-on-1 feedback from the Pro himself.
- Chevy Thunder Seminar at 26th Amelia Island 2021Friday, May 21, 2021, Chevrolet Motorsports will present Chevy Thunder Seminar at The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Talbot Ballroom during the Amelia Island Concours. The seminar runs from 3 pm until 4:30 pm.
- Fourth Annual Philadelphia Concours d’Elegance is scheduled for July 17th, 2021The Philadelphia Concours d’Elegance, the premier concours event in the City of Brotherly Love, returns on July 17, 2021, to celebrate Corvette – “America’s Sports Car.”
- VINTAGE RACING SETS THE 2021 SEASON IN MOTION AT ROAD AMERICAELKHART LAKE, Wis., May 4, 2021 – It has been 71 years since racers tore through the streets of this tiny village about 60 miles north of Milwaukee. Still, every spring, you would swear time stood still when the sounds of historic racecars from days gone by echo throughout the surrounding hillsides. Racing came to Elkhart […]
Vette Vues Magazine is jammed packed with Corvette information covering C1 to C8. Each monthly issue has features, reviews, tips, restorations, clubs, events, racing, auction results, model cars, classifieds, products, services, and more. Enjoy the latest Corvette news, as well as some great historical facts.