Inaugural Mecum’s Indy Fall Special 2023 Auction Achieves Remarkable $19.5 Million in Sales: Vette Vues Spotlight on Corvette Auction Results.
Mecum’s Indy Fall Special Collector Car Auction took place from October 5th to 7th, 2023, and it created quite a buzz in the collector car market. This inaugural event recorded an impressive $19.5 million in total sales, featuring 567 vehicles going under the hammer over just three days. With our particular focus on Corvette auction results, let’s delve into the highlights of this remarkable event.
Top Sales at the Auction:
A classic icon, a 1967 Shelby GT500 Fastback, led the pack in terms of sales, commanding a remarkable $275,000. Following closely were modern muscle machines, including a 2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Convertible that sold for $214,500 and a 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon Custom fetching $176,000. A 1969 Pontiac Trans Am rounded out the top American sales list, achieving a price of $162,250.
Here’s a closer look at the top 10 collector car sales at the 2023 Indy Fall Special auction:
- 1967 Shelby GT500 Fastback (Lot S99) – $275,000
- 2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Convertible (Lot S89) – $214,500
- 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon Custom (Lot S196) – $176,000
- 1969 Pontiac Trans Am (Lot S108) – $162,250
- 1946 Chevrolet COE Custom (Lot T145) – $159,500
- 2023 Dodge Charger King Daytona (Lot F138.1) – $154,000
- 2013 Ferrari 458 Spider (Lot S73) – $148,500
- 2023 Dodge Challenger Black Ghost (Lot S65) – $143,000
- 1975 Ford F250 XLT Pickup (Lot S97) – $134,750
- 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window Coupe (Lot S109) – $129,250
The Success of Mecum’s Inaugural Indy Fall Special 2023 Auction:
Mecum Auctions, renowned for their annual Spring Classic collector car auction in Indianapolis, scored another hit with their first-ever Indy Fall Special auction. This year’s event featured a total of 59 Corvettes, with 42 of them finding new owners.
In this article:
- Top Five Sold Corvettes:
- Affordable Corvettes for Budget-Minded Buyers:
- The Current State of the Collector Car Market:
- Spotlight on Seven Iconic Corvettes Sold at Mecum’s Indy Fall Special 2023 Auction:
- 1. 2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Convertible (Lot S89) – Sold for $214,500
- 2. 2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Coupe (Lot S185) – Sold (Price not available)
- 3. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window Coupe (Lot S109.1) – Sold for $129,250
- 4. 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot F174) – Sold for $104,500
- 5. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (Lot S171) – Sold for $82,500
- 6. 1987 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (Lot T36) – Sold for $4,950
- 7. 1994 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (Lot T19.1) – Sold for $4,400
- Stay in the Know and Explore More:
- Join the Vette Vues Community:
Top Five Sold Corvettes:
The highest sold Corvette at the auction was a 2019 ZR1 convertible (Lot S89), which fetched an impressive $214,500. Following closely was Lot S185, also a 2019 ZR1 Corvette, but this one was a coupe, although the exact selling price wasn’t disclosed.
The third-highest sale was Lot S109.1, a 1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe, and the fourth was Lot F174, a 1966 Corvette convertible, which sold for $104,500. The fifth sold Corvette was a 1967 model (Lot S171), which went for $82,500.
Affordable Corvettes for Budget-Minded Buyers:
If you’re on a budget and looking for an affordable Corvette to enjoy around town, the auction had options for you too. Lot T19.1 featured a 1994 Corvette coupe that sold for $4,400, followed by Lot T36, which had a 1987 model going for $4,950.
The Current State of the Collector Car Market:
The success of Mecum’s inaugural Indy Fall Special auction showcases the continued interest in buying and selling collector cars. While prices may not be as astronomical as they were in previous years, the market, especially for American classics and modern performance cars, remains robust.
Looking ahead, the 2023 Indy Fall Special was not just a seasonal addition; it’s poised to become a cornerstone event for Mecum Auctions and car enthusiasts. With such resounding success, the industry eagerly anticipates what Mecum has in store for their next event.
Spotlight on Seven Iconic Corvettes Sold at Mecum’s Indy Fall Special 2023 Auction:
At the Mecum Indy Fall Special 2023 Auction, seven remarkable Corvettes found new homes, showcasing the diverse range of models, prices, and histories within this iconic American brand. Let’s take a closer look at these automotive gems:
1. 2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Convertible (Lot S89) – Sold for $214,500
- Mileage: 559 miles
- Rarity: 1 of 197 Sebring Orange convertibles made for 2019
- Powerhouse: 6.2L/755 HP supercharged V-8 engine
- Smooth Transitions: 8-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters
- Striking Exterior: Sebring Orange exterior
- Premium Interior: Black leather with Sebring Orange stitching
- Exclusive Touch: National Corvette Museum Delivery badge
- Comfort and Tech: Power heated and ventilated bucket seats, memory package, and more
- Stylish Details: Sebring Orange seat belts, carbon fiber air dam, and quad exhaust tips
- Entertainment: AM/FM stereo with SiriusXM radio, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto connectivity
- Convenience: Dual-zone climate control and advanced safety features
2. 2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Coupe (Lot S185) – Sold (Price not available)
- Mileage: 8,700 miles
- Rare Breed: No. 814 of 2,953 ZR1s produced for 2019
- Performance Monster: 6.2L/755 HP supercharged V-8 engine
- Smooth Ride: Automatic transmission
- Sleek Appearance: Black exterior with a red leather interior
- Comfortable Seats: Bucket seats and dual-zone climate control
- Entertainment on the Go: AM/FM stereo, SiriusXM radio, and Apple CarPlay connectivity
- Modern Features: Power windows, locks, and mirrors, rear wing, and alloy wheels
3. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window Coupe (Lot S109.1) – Sold for $129,250
- Noteworthy Heritage: This 1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe was delivered to the Chevrolet Zone Office in Salt Lake City, Utah, making it the 57th Corvette produced for 1963. (dealer code 0, zone 36)
- Unique Early Production: Built on September 7, 1962, this car was one of the earliest examples and was possibly a pre-production air-conditioned model.
- Power Under the Hood: Equipped with a 327 CI V-8 engine and an original Borg Warner T10 4-speed manual transmission.
- Classic Design: Features Ermine White with a Dark Blue interior, original dual snorkel air cleaner, and more.
- Added Comfort: Comes with power windows, a Hurst shifter, clock and radio, original hubcaps, and white stripe tires.
4. 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot F174) – Sold for $104,500
- Impeccable Restoration: Underwent a frame-off nut and bolt restoration in 2018 by noted Corvette restoration specialist, Allen McCutchen.
- Early Production: Built in September 1965, it boasts original bodywork and a 427/450 HP big block L72 V-8 engine.
- Stunning Appearance: Milano Maroon exterior with a soft top and a black interior.
- Exceptional Wheels: Equipped with knock-off wheels and a 12-bolt rear end.
5. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (Lot S171) – Sold for $82,500
- Recognized Excellence: Awarded NCRS Second Flight, comes with a Protect-O-Plate, original invoice, and more.
- Single Ownership: Sold new at Berger Chevrolet in Grand Rapids, Michigan, this is a one-owner vehicle.
- Matching Numbers: Features the original 327/300 HP V-8 engine and Teal Blue interior.
- Well-Preserved: Mostly retains its original Lynndale Blue paint and has been kept in climate-controlled storage.
- Extra Features: Equipped with side exhaust, rally wheels, redline tires, tinted glass, and more.
6. 1987 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (Lot T36) – Sold for $4,950
- Power Under the Hood: Comes with a 350 CI V-8 engine and a 4-speed manual with pushbutton overdrive.
- Sleek Appearance: Black exterior with a removable glass top.
- Well-Kept: Garage-kept since 2000 with a gray leather bucket seat interior.
- Performance: Disc brakes, alloy wheels, and dual exhaust enhance its performance.
7. 1994 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (Lot T19.1) – Sold for $4,400
- Engine Performance: Features a 5.7L/300 HP V-8 engine and an automatic transmission.
- Striking Appearance: White exterior with a fiberglass Targa top.
- Comfortable Interior: Gray leather interior, power seat, power windows, locks, and mirrors.
These Corvettes represent a captivating journey through automotive history, from classic models to modern powerhouses. Each one tells a unique story and showcases the enduring appeal of the Corvette brand.
Stay in the Know and Explore More:
If you’re passionate about collector cars, be sure to stay updated on upcoming Mecum Auctions by visiting their official website. For a deeper dive into Corvette auction results and more captivating stories, check out our dedicated ‘Corvette Auction Results Category‘ on our blog. There, you’ll find a treasure trove of information to feed your love for all things automotive and collector car-related.
Join the Vette Vues Community:
If you’re captivated by the world of Corvettes and collector cars, why not take your passion to the next level? Subscribe to Vette Vues Magazine and become part of our ever-growing community of enthusiasts, collectors, and aficionados. With each issue, you’ll delve deeper into the rich history, latest trends, and exclusive insights about Corvettes and collector cars. Our magazine is your portal to a world of automotive wonder, and by subscribing, you ensure that you never miss an exciting update. Join us on this thrilling journey by subscribing to Vette Vues Magazine today!
But that’s not all! By signing up for our newsletter, you’ll ensure you never miss a beat when it comes to your favorite sports car. Plus, don’t forget to explore our store, where you can find a fantastic range of Corvette-themed merchandise, including t-shirts, hats, cooler bags, and totes. It’s the perfect way to show off your love for Corvettes everywhere you go. Join us in celebrating the Corvette lifestyle – subscribe, stay informed, and indulge in some fantastic Corvette gear today!
Here are some other articles you might enjoy:
Learn invaluable tips, insights, and effective bidding strategies on How to Buy a Corvette at Auction.