Rare 1972 Corvette ZR1 Coupe Heads to Auction: A Masterpiece of History and Performance
Specifications and Rarity
The 1972 Corvette ZR1 Coupe epitomizes automotive rarity and performance. This masterpiece is not merely a classic; it stands as a pinnacle of Corvette history, steeped in significance and exclusivity.
ZR1/LT1 Special Purpose Engine Package and Rarity
At its core lies the ZR1/LT1 Special Purpose Engine Package, a hallmark of power and innovation. With only 20 models produced in 1972, this Corvette stands as a rarity among collectibles, revered for its numbers-matching original LT1 350/255 HP V-8 engine, M22 heavy-duty close-ratio 4-speed manual transmission, and 3.70 Positraction rear end.
The Corvette ZR1 Coupe is steeped in historical significance, reflecting Chief Engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov’s legacy. It aligns with other iconic Corvette builds of its time, such as the original 1963 Z06 and the 1969 ZL1 aluminum block. The ZR1 option added substantial value, pricing almost as high as the famed L88 option.
Notable Features and Options
This vehicle encompasses notable features and options that underscore its historical significance. The first listing of ZR1 we are aware of is on a Chevrolet Motor Vehicle Price Guide dated April 1, 1970. The ZR1 option included an array of high-performance components such as special suspension, HD power brakes, a full transistor ignition system, and more.
The 1990 iteration brought forth the next ZR-1, distinguishing itself within the C4 lineup with a host of distinctive features. Starting at $31,979, the Chevrolet Corvette coupe of that year introduced the exclusive ZR1 Special Performance Package, elevating the ZR-1’s starting price to $58,995—an additional $27,016.
Restoration and Awards
The Corvette underwent meticulous restoration by Corvette Repair in Valley Stream, New York, with an investment exceeding $150,000. The process transformed it into a Bloomington Gold Certified and Triple Crown recipient, earning multiple NCRS Top Flight awards.
Accolades and Recognition
Its restoration prowess earned accolades, making it a standout at various prestigious events. The Corvette’s restoration details and historical accuracy garnered attention and recognition within the collector car community.
Documentation and Provenance
The vehicle boasts comprehensive documentation, highlighting its provenance and historical significance. From the warranty book with Protect-O-Plate to CCAS engine stamp affirmation and ownership records, each detail contributes to its authenticity.
Factory-Original Components and Editorial Recognition
Its factory-original body/trim tag, radio delete option, and an array of factory-correct components further underscore its authenticity. Additionally, being editorialized in Vette Vues magazine adds to its credibility and allure within the collector car market.
The 1972 Corvette ZR1 Coupe stands as a testament to automotive history, excellence, and enduring allure. With its rarity, historical significance, and meticulous restoration, it remains a gem among collectors—a symbol of Chevrolet’s commitment to high-performance innovation during an era of automotive excellence.
- VIN: 1Z37L2S514058
- Odometer Reads: 24,603 miles
- Model: 1972 Corvette ZR1 Coupe
- Engine: LT1 350/255 HP V-8
- Transmission: M22 heavy-duty close-ratio 4-speed manual
- Rarity: 1 of only 20 produced in 1972
- Color: Pewter Silver exterior with Saddle Tan interior, a rare color combination
- Restoration: Frame-off nut and bolt restoration by Corvette Repair in Valley Stream, NY, totaling over $150,000
- Certifications/Awards: Bloomington Gold Certified, Triple Crown recipient, multiple NCRS Top Flight awards (98.1% and 99%)
- Factory Features: Numbers matching original LT1 engine, factory original body/trim tag
- Historical Significance: Part of Corvette Chief Engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov’s factory-built extra-high-performance specials
- ZR1 Option: Added $1,010.05 to the 1972 base price of $5,533.00; included 370-hp 350-cu-in engine, special 4-speed close-ratio transmission, HD power brakes, full transistor ignition system, aluminum radiator, special springs with matching shock absorbers, special front and rear stabilizer bars
- Documentation: Comes with warranty book/Protect-O-Plate, CCAS/Grenning Engine Stamp Affirmation, owner history, copy of the 1972 title, restoration receipts, historic photos, owner’s manual packet, inspection receipts dating back to 1972, oil change stickers, Bloomington, NCRS, and Triple Crown certificates, and two 3-ring binders
- Original Sales: Sold in February 1972 by Rosenthal Chevrolet Co. in Arlington, VA
- Equipment/Options: Radio delete car, J56 heavy-duty brakes, F41 special heavy-duty suspension, SS dual pin brakes, A.I.R./smog, 2-1/2″ exhaust, audio alarm, tinted glass, rally wheels, F70x15″ blackwall tires, and most all factory-correct type components including spare, jack, jack tools, floor mats, T-Top bags, shocks, seat belts, washer system, smog system, shifter, air cleaner, alternator, distributor, #6239 carb, hoses, hose clamps, window glass, valve covers, expansion tank, radiator, gas door assembly, and T3 headlights.
This exceptional 1972 Corvette ZR1 Coupe, a rare gem steeped in history and restored to perfection, will be offered for sale at the prestigious Mecum Kissimmee Auction, scheduled from January 2nd to 14th, 2024. Catch the opportunity to witness automotive excellence firsthand at the Osceola Heritage Park located at 1875 Silver Spur Lane, Kissimmee, FL 34744.
GREAT OPPORTUNITY: Mecum is rolling out the red carpet for our magazine followers and you’re invited for an Exclusive Tour at Mecum Kissimmee 2024 Auction. Check out the details on our blog post and Sign Up today for the Mecum Tour!
Curious to explore more incredible Corvettes like the iconic 1972 ZR1 Coupe? Take a deep dive into our Corvette Auction Category, where you’ll discover a treasure trove of classic and rare models waiting for passionate collectors. For those seeking more options or exclusive deals, don’t miss out on perusing the Vette Vues Magazine Corvettes for Sale Classified ads, brimming with exceptional finds. With the holidays around the corner, consider unique gift ideas for the Corvette enthusiast in your life—find the perfect presents in our collection, ranging from collectibles to memorabilia. And for the ultimate gift that keeps giving, our gift subscriptions to Vette Vues Magazine make the perfect choice for any Corvette enthusiast, offering a year-long journey through the world of Corvettes and automotive excellence.
Here are some other articles you might enjoy:
Take a journey back in time and discover captivating 1972 Corvette Advertisements that are sure to charm any car enthusiast. Relive the golden era of the classic car and explore the iconic ads that defined the time!